There has been a brass band in Dandenong as far back as 1885 when the Dandenong Brass Band was formed. The Dandenong Railways band was formed seven years later in 1892, and the two ensembles amalgamated in 1895 but unfortunately disbanded in 1939.
The current Dandenong Band was formed in 1957 and was known as the Dandenong Citizens' Band. The first Musical Director was Mr. Edgar Hill. The band became affiliated with the Victorian Bands League in 1958 as a D grade band.
In 1962 the band was renamed the Dandenong RSL & Citizens Band. It was again renamed in 1968 and became the Dandenong Municipal Band. Nowadays, the band is known as the City of Greater Dandenong Band, and is aligned with the City of Greater Dandenong Council.
For many years the band rehearsed in a "tin shed" - a council works building, in Dandenong Park, next to the Stan Prior Soundshell. The band currently rehearses at the rear of the Arts Centre at the corner of Walker and Robinsons Streets.
The band's most famous member was Mr. Stan Prior who lived to the age of 102. He was still playing with the band in his 100th year and the Soundshell in Dandenong Park is named after him in recognition of his outstanding contribution to music in the local area.
A comprehensive history of the band entitled "And The Band Played On" has recently been compiled by Life Member, Mr Bruce Collard, and can be ordered by contacting the band.
Dandenong RSL & Citizens Band, circa 1960